Monday 4 January 2016

Unboxing: Nailboxuk December

Hello all,
Yes, yes I'm just a tad behind on getting this post up.  I blame the boyfriend for not hearing the postie at the door on Christmas Eve which meant I had to wait ages for the post office to open again to finally get my goodies.  I am still loving getting these each month and can't wait to open them up to see what's inside.
Here is the contents for December; 3 polishes, a Sallly Hansen nail art pen and Elegant Touch tweezers.  The tweezers lived up to my expectations in terms of quality and stay inline with the other Elegant Touch items I've received thus far.

I was very interested to try out this pen.  I have always used a dotting tool or striper brush for any of the fine detail work I do so I wondered just how this would compare to it.

 The dots were very cleanly placed and all came out the same size.  When using a dotting tool you go from large to small dots.  From the macro you can see that the dots appear not to be fully opaque, however this isn't noticeable at a standard distance.



 The lines again in the macro shot appear to show as slightly sheer but at standard distance this isn't noticeable.  I feel that if you were wanting super fine lines then this pen is not ideal for that as for my personal preference they are a little on the thick side.  If you were trying to do an abstract design (like I love to do!) the sweeping curved lines that I like would be very hard to do with this as I like the lines to come to a point at the end and with this pen you get the same consistency all the way.  Don't see this as a huge negative though.  I can see this pen being very useful to newbies to nail art.  The concept of holding a pen gives you a more comforting feeling of being in control of the design more then using a flexible striping brush.  What are your thoughts on pens VS brush?

Check out this macro shot of the Nails Inc Blossom topper called Bloomsbury Way.  This polish contains blue and pink hexes, tiny light pink hexes and shredded pale pink (possibly even white) pieces.  Super pretty!  You get a good amount of product from one brush stroke but you may want to use the patting method to fill in any gaps.





 I applied one coat of Bloomsbury Way over the other two polishes.  One "coat" gave good coverage but I did dab a little bit more on to any area that I felt was a little light.  I really like this polish.  It contains a great selection of "product" (not sure of the exact word I want here, but you know what I mean!) and they all compliment each other.  Nicely done.

Polish two is by Morgan Taylor and has the fun name of Best Ball Gown Ever.  It's a lilac but with a shimmer of gold/green.  Very hard to capture on camera.  I applied two coats for an opaque finish.

The shimmer comes through a little on this macro shot.  Application was smooth and it dried to a satin like finish.  I didn't apply top coat for these pictures.  I really like this one and the name gives it brownie points too!

Last polish is Rimmel London Marshmellow Heaven.  How cute is that name?!  Keeping with the theme of the box being purples, this one is a pastel shade.


 Once again for the picture I've done two coats of colour and no top coat.  It was a little sheer on first coat but smoothed out on the second.  It dried to a shiney finish but I would still always apply top coat.

So there we have it:  Decembers Nailboxuk review... in January!  Better late than never right? ;)  I adore purple so I this box was fantastic for me.  The Sally Hansen nail art pen was fun to try out and the tweezers always come in handy and are of high quality.  If you want to find out about Nailbox for yourself, just check out their website here:
Nailbox Website 

thanks for reading,
Lyn

0 comments:

Post a Comment