Monday 26 September 2016

Unboxing: Nailbox September

Hello!
No introduction needed as to what this post is about since you read the title.  End of the month means subscription boxes have arrived and today we shall be having a look at the Pumpkin Patch box from Nailbox.

As you can see this box contained four polishes and a nail art wheel.  The wheel is by Elegant Touch and has a mixture of silver and gold studs.  They come in a variety of shapes ranging from tiny 1mm circles, squares, stars, hexagons and more.  I really like the tiny circles and there are some small silver squares that I'm looking forward to using in the future.

Black is a very staple choice for a box that is themed around pumpkins/halloween.  This one is by Sinful and is called Voodoo.  I have my "go to" black which is Liquid Leather by China Glaze but it's always good to try another out to see how it performs.

What you see here is actually just one coat.  The pigment is very strong in this but it was verging a little on the thick side.  I still managed to work with it and was pleased with the coverage.  I think it's just because I'm so used to my other black I wasn't expecting it to be so thick.  Don't get me wrong, it is not unmanageable, just different to what I am used to.

Now this is an unusual colour.  Into The Woods by Color Cub is definitely a khaki green but as the name suggests, it falls very much into the browner tones.  Not a colour I would pick out for myself as I enjoy pastels, neon and brighter colours.  However I have just removed my neon design from my holidays so it could just the the shock to the system of coming out of summer that makes me a little unsure of this one.

I needed to do two coats of colour as the first was a little patchy but the finish was really nice.  I just don't know if this colour is "me" though.  What do you think?

Third polish is OPI Where Did Suzi's Man-go?  I just adore the OPI polish names!  I can't be the only one...right?  I like this shade of peachy-orange which I don't think would normally suit my pale skin tone, but since I'm sporting a slight tan I think it looks rather good.

Once again two coats of polish was needed to give full opacity.  I can't say I've had many OPI polishes that I didn't like.  (The only one that springs to mind is When Monkeys Fly)  Overall a nice shade and of course an orange tone had to be included because it wouldn't be a pumpkin patch box without.

Final shade of the box is a Rimmel London Salon Pro in the colour Beige Babe.  I'm not overly keen on this shade and I also feel the name doesn't really suit such a deep brown tone.

Application was really good, it has one of the thicker rounded brushes that hugs the cuticle area nicely.  It was a little patchy on first coat but a second gave the finish that you see here.

My over all thoughts on this months box; I like the theme pumpkin patch as I feel it lets you incorporate Autumn and Halloween into the one box.  I feel like the Color Club and Salon Pro were too similar in colour to each other that it would have been nice to have had a different shade in place of one, perhaps adding a green.  The studs are really cute and in my opinion a universal nail art item to have in your collection that can be used all year round.
My favourite of this months polishes would have to be the OPI.   I will admit part of that is due to my love for the name but I do also really like the colour.  There will be a live swatch video on my youtube channel 27th September so be sure to check that out.

Thanks for reading,
Lyn


*all my swatches are done with top coat*
 
 
 
 

 
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment